Enrolment process

If your child turns 5:  

  • before 1 May, they can start primary school at the start of the year. 
  • after 1 May, they can start the next year. 

Your child must be at school by their 6th birthday.  


Visit the school enrolment section on the department’s website for more information.

Mid-year intake from 2024

From 2024, there will be a mid-year intake into school.

From 2024, if your child turns 5 years between 1 May and 31 October, they can start school in either:

  • term 3 of the same year
  • or term 1 the following year.

Students enrolled through a mid-year intake will complete 6 terms of reception.

Apply to enrol

Step 1: submit an enrolment request form by 30 June. You can get a form from our front office.  

Step 2: submit your verification documents by 31 August. You’ll need to provide: 

  • council rates / 12 month lease agreement
  • bond receipt lodged with Consumer and Business Services
  • recent gas or electricity bill
  • drivers license
  • a copy of the child’s original birth certificate or passport 
  • residency visa, if you’re a non-Australian resident 

Transition visits

Before starting school, you’ll get a letter to let you know when you can attend a transition visit in term 4. This is for all students starting school the following year.